Sunday, March 2, 2008

Eating an Elephant!

I know I don't post daily, but it has been very busy around here. Mike has been sick with a nasty virus most of the week, which required me trying to fill in for him as well as do my job at work. We are also working on a new inventory control system and it is a hairpulling experience to say the least. When it is complete, it will be great, but until then...... ADOPTION UPDATE: We have turned in our contract and fee, our application for USCIS approval and fee, and have started our pre-adoptive training. We have been officially accepted into the Colombia program and received our Dossier instructions on Friday. It looks quite overwhelming at first, but as my mother always says, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." I think I have been trying to do too many things at once, running the risk of choking :) I have received all 5 copies of my birth certificates, requested our marriage certificates and am finally finishing up the request for Mike's birth certificates, now that I think I have all the correct info. That has taken a few chunks out of the elephant, but believe me, there's a lot left!!! This week, we should apply for passports, complete 2 or 3 more hours of training and fill out some more paperwork. I have also turned in my rough draft of our Letter of Intent to Adopt and am waiting to hear feedback from the agency. I have also talked to two different families who have adopted through La Vida and they can't say enough good things about the agency. That really made me happy with our choice!

4 comments:

Kim M. said...

Sounds overwhelming! Will be praying for you.

Donna said...

I didn't know you were trying to adopt! I'm so excited and happy for you! Good luck. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

The Sayler Family said...

Heidi, have you e-mailed Heather Dickinson yet? She and Phillip might be able to help in some way - at least when you are over there. I know they'll be coming out for Heather's baby to be born, but they might be back by the time everything goes through.
Kim

SusieJamesteddybayer said...

Isn't it crazy to think if only 7% of Christians adopted we'd be
orphanless? I wonder if 7% of Christians have been given the gift to
adopt, but just ignore it or let others talk them out of it?

You Know You're An Adoptive Parent When . . .

1. The fact that there are 143 million children without a parent to
kiss them goodnight has made you lose sleep.

2. You realize DNA has nothing to do with love and family.

3. You can't watch Adoption Stories on TLC without sobbing.

4. The fact that, if 7% of Christians adopted 1 child there would be
no orphans in the world, is convicting to you.

5. You spend free time surfing blogs about families who have
experienced the blessing of adoption.

6. It drives you crazy when people ask you about adopted
child's "real" parents.

7. You have ever been "pregnant" with your adoptive child longer than
it takes an elephant to give birth.(2 years!)

8. You had no idea how you would afford to adopt but stepped out in
faith anyway, knowing where God calls you He will provide.

9. You have ever taken an airplane ride half-way around the world
with a child you just met.

10. You believe God's heart is for adoption.

11. You realize that welcoming a child into your heart and family is
one of the most important legacies you could ever leave on this earth.

12. You know what the word "Dossier" means, and you can actually
pronounce it!

13. You have welcomed a social worker into the most private parts of
your life.

14. You shudder when people say your child is so lucky that you
adopted them, knowing full well you are the blessed one to have him
or her in your life.

-Author unknown